Search This Blog

Friday, March 18, 2011

Gardenista

Keep your clothes and shoes;
My passion is not fashion -
I'm much more "grounded."

Other women may get all excited when the spring couture collections come out; not me. What gets my goosebumps going are the garden supply catalogs that start hitting the mailbox right about this time of year. With their promises of fecundity and ease ("Grow great TOWERING tomatoes!" "Precision Planting with No waste, No thinning!") gardening catalogs make me feel like an Earth Goddess just waiting to happen - Demeter ready to throw the welcome-home garden party of the century for her long-awaited offspring.

Will this be the year I finally coax a peony out of the dusty ground with a can't fail SoCal hybrid? Can my strawberries REALLY be sweet and AND big? Maybe what I've really been waiting for all my life is the right pair of Nitrile gloves - "Fit like a second skin and wear like iron!"

Sigh ... there is so much promise in a garden supply catalog. Fashion catalogs, with their in-one-year-out-the-next peasant blouses and wedge sandals just can't hold a candle. I'll leave it to my more elegant sisters to sport the latest in oversized handbags. What I'm really lusting after is a new compost crock. (Gardener's Supply Company Item #37-985, in case you're interested.)

1 comment:

  1. One is on it's way .... Happy "March 18th"
    Love ...J & R

    ReplyDelete